The Ultimate Refugium Starter Pack
Everything you need to set up, start and seed a healthy refugium.
Setting up a new refugium? Looking to establish a copepod population in your tank? This hand-selected package is designed to make that easy and affordable.
We only recommend adding all items at once into an established tank. This kit is not meant to help with system cycling. To cycle your system, please use our Cycle Kit instead!
- MarinePure Biofiltration Ceramic Media: An ultra porous ceramic media that allows water to flow through it and has an unparalleled amount of surface area providing an ideal environment for beneficial nitrifying bacteria and copepod populations.
- Fritz Aquatics Turbo Start 900 Live Nitrifying Bacteria for Saltwater: A super-concentrated blend designed to contain all of the strains of beneficial nitrifying bacteria necessary to seed and cycle your saltwater aquarium making it safe for copepods, phytoplankton, macroalgae, and other livestock.
- Clean macroalgae of Your Choice: We treat, quarantine, and inspect all of our CleanMacro algae to ensure your refugium gets off to a healthy parasite and pest-free start. Macroalgae also provide excellent habitats for copepods, zooplankton, and other beneficial microfauna.
- 5280 Pods™ Live Copepods: A three species blend of over 5,280+ tigriopus, tisbe, and apocyclops copepods of all sizes and life stages for maximum zooplankton diversity designed to seed and establish your tank with a healthy and diverse copepod population.
- OceanMagik™ Live Pyhytoplankton Blend: A nutritious blend of four strains of live phytoplankton designed to give your copepods, corals, and filter-feeding inverts a healthy and complete diet.
- Rinse MarinePure in RODI water until it runs clear then add MarinePure Cubes to refugium, sump, overflow box, etc.
- Turn off the skimmer and add TurboStart 900 Live Nitrifying Bacteria to refugium, display tank, or any other high flow area. This will introduce and establish the beneficial bacteria colonies in your tank and also make it safe to introduce the copepods, phytoplankton, and macroalgae. .
- Add Live Cleanmacroalgae to the refugium area under an adequate light source. Follow the directions on the product label and discard any water in the bag.
- Remove filter socks, turn off pumps and skimmer, and add the entire Jar(s) of 5280Pods™ Live Copepods to the refugium area. Some may also be added to the display tank if desired. Follow instructions on the product label for best results when adding copepods. Do not put the pods in the fridge, instead, keep them at room temp between 55-80 with the lid off.
- Begin dosing OceanMagik Live phytoplankton blend at 5ml per 20gal per day to keep the copepods fed and reproducing in your refugium/ tank. Store unused portion in the fridge.
- Store unused portions of OceanMagik in the fridge.
Adrian Justice (verified owner) –
Serious about customer satisfaction;
Fast shipping every thing alive and well with one minor thing the Phytoplankton did not arrive the green juice was missing m.i.a.\
tried to file a claim could not upload required pic no matter how small i mad the pic . so called and left a message after hours.
to my surprise got a call the fallowing day on the worse line connection sense , Bell invented the thing five or six disconections later the conversation went as fallow.
algae barn: insert name here
algae barn: mail Friday
then we got disconnected
The next day i’m talking less then 18 hours it’s at my door . I was amazed
If you want a quality product and a company that stands behind their name look no farther Algae Barn has your back
I know where i choose to drop my hard earned money from now on .
p.s. I think his name was Sean it was the worst telephone connection in history
Timothy Vogel (verified owner) –
Wonderful for staring refugium in an established tank. Shipment arrived basically overnight on the coldest day of the year. Pods were alive and the packaging was excellent. The combination of items is a great introduction for all the necessary equipment you will need to bring new life to your tank. Just an excellent bargain and execution on delivery.
chuck11469 (verified owner) –
Very nice, everything looked great, fast shipment, couldn’t be happier! I would definitely recommend this product for new or old setups.
383strokin256 (verified owner) –
This has the potential to be a very nice Refugium starter pack. All the reviews talked about the fast shipping which sold me on the package. Seven days later I received my box, Everything but the pods looked good. Nice packaging for shipping but the pods didn’t make it, there was maybe three alive. Still awaiting reply from claim file.
William Dickey (verified owner) –
Love the pack. Everything came alive with more than what I was expecting. Customer service was outstanding, Greg went above and beyond to make sure my order was correct. I will be ordering again.
Adam Reuter (verified owner) –
damn near 100 degrees in Georgia and ny refugium starter park arrived perfectly. chaeto was bright green and luch, copes were alive and well. I could not he happier with the customer service and shipping. will absolutely order from again.
Matthew boyd (verified owner) –
Pay attention to shipping. Apparently, I picked two shipment thing. Got my turbo start, blocks, and pods. No phyto or lettuce. Sent message and was told I picked two shipments. Truely wasn’t their fault. Just sucks now I’m waiting on my other shipment now. Hey one good thing pods showed up alive. Will update review when I get other part of my order.
Umer Saleem (verified owner) –
I received my package within 2-3 days. I got the red ogo starter pack. Algae was in great shape and pods were alive in the jar. Very pleased overall.
matthew.k.wyatt (verified owner) –
Loved this kit. Established a nice colony fast. My red ogo died fairly fast not sure why but ill live. Would recommend to anyone trying to start a refugium.